- News and Events
- About Us
- New to this Church?
- Church Life
Overton was a 'church’ manor from at least King Alfred’s time. His successor, Edward the Elder, in 909 confirmed a previous Crown grant of Overton to the bishop in Winchester. But we know tantalisingly little about any place of worship in Saxon times on the present site of St Mary’s, Overton.
The origins of the church building are from the late Norman period in architecture. Although only the nave pillars remain of the original church, there is a record that in 1180 it had a nave of three bays. The old church probably had narrow aisles and a small chancel.
When the Church Rooms were built in 1998/9 an archeological survey was carried out before work commenced. This survey is available to download on-line.